|Work experience||7500 hours in the last 10 years, 900 hours of which should be in four out of the six BABOK® Guide Version 3 Knowledge areas|
|Professional Development Hours||35 hours of Professional Development in the past four years|
|References||Two references from a career manager, client or Certified Business Analysis Professional – CBAP®|
|Agreement||A Signed Code of Conduct with IIBA|
CBAP (Certified Business Analysis Professional) Certification is the third level of certification for business analysts governed by IIBA (International Institute for Business Analysis) Canada.
This certification is most suited for senior business analysts having a minimum of 5 years of experience performing the business analysis tasks.
What counts as a business analysis experience
- Requirements gathering and elicitation
- Requirements management
- Requirements analysis
- Process analysis
- Process Mapping
- Process Modeling
- Process set up/definition
- Requirements planning
- Solution evaluation
- The solution set up/structuring
- Solution selection
- ERP implementation-related activities
What does not count as a business analysis experience
- Managing requirements engineers
- Project Management
- Status Reporting
Some Common Myths of CBAP
Some of the common myths associated with the experience and eligibility criteria are:
I can’t appear for CBAP since I am not on a job right now
- There is no such requirement for one to be on a job to be eligible to apply for CBAP. As long as one can produce the evidence of the work experience then it will work.
I can’t appear for CBAP® as I had a career break
- CBAP requires one to have 7500 hours of business analysis experience in the last 10 years. As long as one meets the criteria prescribed by IIBA®, that’s more than enough to go for the examination. So do not worry even if you had a career break in your work history.
My official designation was not a business analyst that makes me ineligible to prepare for CBAP®
- The eligibility criteria for CBAP is all about the experience and performing the tasks of a business analyst. The designation can be systems Analyst, Project Manager, Implementation Consultant, Domain SME, Business Consultant, Architect, Analyst or something else, as long as one is dealing with the tasks mentioned in BABoK® they are perfectly eligible for CBAP®.
CBAP Program Schedules
|Workshop Name||Mode of Session||Timings||Dates|
|CBAP Prep Workshop - US Weekday - ( Fri - Thu )||Instructor led - Online||9.00 to 13.00 ET||Aug 8 to Aug 30|
|CBAP Prep Workshop - US Weekday OKC - ( Mon - Tue )||Instructor led - Online||2.00 to 6.30 ET||Aug 5 to Aug 27|
|CBAP Prep Workshop - US Weekend - ( Sat - Sun )||Instructor led - Online||9.00 to 13.00 ET||Aug 10 to Sep 1|
|CBAP Prep Workshop - US Weekend - ( Sat - Sun )||Instructor led - Online||9.00 to 13.00 ET||Sep 14 to Oct 6|
|CBAP Prep Workshop - US Weekend - ( Sat - Sun )||Instructor led - Online||9.00 to 13.00 ET||Oct 5 to Oct 27|
I can’t appear for CBAP® since I am not a graduate
- The education requirement for CBAP doesn’t have any such condition
One needs an experience letter from the employer to take the CBAP® exam
- Again there is no such need from IIBA, IIBA® has no expectation that one has to produce an experience letter from the employer. What is required is a reference for one’s BA experience from past project managers or clients.
I need to complete ECBA, then CCBA® and finally can go for CBAP®
- One can pursue any level of certification directly depending on his/her comfort level and the eligibility requirement.
I have lost touch with my career managers how can I appear for CBAP
- Your career manager will be contacted via email only if your application is picked up for audit which happens for very few cases.
- IIBA no longer requires the endorsement of your references, hence they will not be contacted.
I just relocated to a new country and is not in a job now, can I still appear for CBAP
- Yes, you can appear for CBAP as long as you meet the CBAP eligibility criteria as given above. Being in a job or currently employed is not a criterion for CBAP test.
For more myths of CBAP read the post,
Hope this gives you a good overview of the CBAP eligibility requirements, who and how can one apply for CBAP.
Suggested reading on CBAP: