Introduction to UML
UML is an acronym for Unified Modeling Language.
Now, what’s “Unified”? Unified means multiple models integrated into 1.
What is modeling? Modeling is the act of representing reality with the help of diagrams.
What is language? Language is the art of communicating information.
Now, what’s a “Modeling Language”?
A modeling language provides “Iconography” and “Semantics” to express an aspect.
Now, what’s “Iconography”? A modeling language provides “Iconography” and “Semantics” to express an aspect.
Few sample icons
Now, what’s “Semantics”? “Semantics” are rules for using the icons.
History of UML
- Different approaches to object-oriented analysis and design began appearing between the mid-1970s and late 1980s
- As various methods were evolving in the same direction, authors of the models decided to come up with a unified modeling language.
- Several organizations found UML strategic to their business.
- Object Management Group (OMG) played a crucial role
- Present UML version is v2.5.
Have you ever modeled?
If you have ever drawn a flowchart, then you have modeled.
How do models look like?
Models can be diagrams, structured text, matrices, and formulas.
Let us understand this paragraph
- Projects can be billed as Time and Material or Fixed price basis.
- T&M projects are billed on monthly basis based on effort spent in the project or a fixed amount based on the agreement with a client.
- For a domestic project, service tax needs to be applied.
Let’s look at this picture
- Reduces ambiguity
- Express a particular aspect
- Hide complexity
- Verify correctness
- Can help in automation
What do we model?
Entities – ER Diagram and Class Diagram
Relationship between concepts
Generalization and inheritance
Activities –Activity diagram, Sequence diagram, Processes, Scenarios
State Chart Diagram
Flow chart, Activity diagram, Sequence diagram, State Chart Diagram
Interaction / Communication
Capabilities or features
Commonly used models by BAs
- Use case model
- Activity model
- Class model
- State chart model
- Sequence diagram
About Adaptive US
Adaptive US provides CBAP, CCBA, ECBA, CPRE, IIBA AAC, and other business analysis certification training online and consulting needs for Individual or Corporate either online or offline. Adaptive US is an endorsed education provider of IIBA® Canada and IREB® Germany.