- Workshops vs Meetings
- The facilitator’s role & objectives
Top 3 Components: Planning, Planning and Planning
- Define the scope
- Know your audience
- Prepare the logistics and practicalities
- Define the objectives and desired outcomes
At the Workshop
- Facilitator’s styles – choose yours!
- Biases to beware of
- Rules & guidelines
- Technology & tools to keep in your pocket
- Useful techniques that can save the day
- Control the flow
- End with a bang!
It’s All About the People Skills
- Verbal & non-verbal skills
- Understanding the group dynamics
- The art of active listening
- Get more with open questions
- Keys to dealing with:
- Dominant people
- Shy people
- Business people
- Technical people
- Dysfunctional behaviour
- Intervention strategies and their risks
After the Workshop
- Post-workshop deliverables
- Participant follow up
- Verifying agreed issues – making sure they get done
- Managing unresolved issues
- Best practices
- The facilitator’s toolkit
- Where to find help and additional resources
- The facilitator’s best friend: Marriott Bubbles
BONUS Modules – Facilitating Specific Workshop Types
- Decision making
- Requirements elicitation
- Risk analysis
- Agile User Story Mapping
- Project planning
What is the Training Like?
Most modules start with an instructor running a presentation interactively, followed by discussions and practical exercises.
For most exercises you will break out into small groups of 3-4 people, where you can practice your workshop facilitation techniques and skills in a positive, constructive and non-judgmental environment. You will practice in front of real people and be coached by an instructor with real-world experience!
Do you have an upcoming workshop you are preparing for? Use your own workshop criteria in the exercises, to gain more personalised benefits! Otherwise, we also provide a realistic case study that simulates a series of workshops in a project. We can offer this flexibility thanks to the small group size and the unique skills of our course instructors.
In line with the working-from-home trend, you can now also attend this course remotely. The course will still be practical, hands-on, interactive and delivered live by a senior instructor with 15 – 25+ years’ experience with the skills to make the intensive short course interesting and enjoyable. Find out more about practical training delivered remotely (live).
Who are the Trainers?
Eligibility requirements to become an IRM Training trainer:
- A minimum of 15 years’ relevant experience in Australia.
- The ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge in the real-world application of the course topics.
- Driven by the passion to help develop others.
- Excellent communication, presentation and people skills.
- A good sense of humour! You can absorb and retain more knowledge when the training is fun!
IRM Training trainers have worked in / with a diverse range of industries and government departments. Some also came from academic background as lecturers at Australian leading universities, on top of their 15+ years’ hands-on experience.
Is this course right for you?
This course is designed for Business Analysts, Managers, Team Leaders, Project Manager / Lead / Adviser and other similar roles who are tasked with facilitating workshops.
Course Endorsement / Certification
This Workshop Facilitation Skills course conforms to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge (BABOK®) v3 and is endorsed by the International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA®). Upon completion of this course you will receive a Certificate of Completion, awarding you 14 CDU / Professional Development Hours (PD Hours).
For more information about PD Hours and certification, refer to our Business Analyst Certification page.
What Past Attendees Said
“Informative, practical and well run” – Business Analyst, ANZ Bank
“Very well conducted and run course. A lot of knowledge and skill was passed on to the class” – Business Analyst, Department of Veteran’s Affairs
“Excellent pointers for planning and structuring a workshop” – Business Analyst, Allianz
COURSE DATES & BOOKINGS
|Anywhere - Remote Delivery||11 - 12 August 2022|
|Group Booking - Remote Delivery||Flexible Dates & Hours|
|Your Office - In Person||Flexible Dates & Hours|
|Adelaide||Select one of the options above|
|Brisbane||Select one of the options above|
|Canberra||Select one of the options above|
|Melbourne||Select one of the options above|
|Perth||Select one of the options above|
|Sydney||Select one of the options above|
Course hours during standard time (4 April – 2 October 2022):
- AEST: 9:00am – 5:00pm (ACT, NSW, QLD, TAS, VIC)
- ACST: 8:30am – 4:30pm (NT, SA)
- AWST: 7:00am – 3:00pm (WA)
Course hours during daylight saving time: 9:00am – 5:00pm AEDT.
For other locations or time zones, Convert to your time zone.